By Dr. Howard Gauthier
So you recently graduated with your degree in sports management. Now what?
By graduating with a bachelor’s degree, you have joined an elite group that the United States Census Bureau shows has been attained by only 31% of people over the age of 25. If you received your master’s degree, you’re now in a group of just 11.5% of this 25+ population.
That’s the good news. The challenging news is that the competition for a job in the sports industry is extremely competitive and many of the people who graduate with a degree in sports management won’t find work in the industry. Now I don’t say this to discourage you, I say this to encourage you to do the “extras” that will help to separate you from the other recent graduates. More specifically you need to:
- Specialize in a particular area within the industry,
- Commit yourself to becoming an expert in this area, and
- Learn all you can about the sports industry.
Within this three-step philosophy is learning about the job search process within the sports industry. By truly knowing and understanding the job search process, you will be able to secure a job in the industry much quicker than your colleagues, begin gaining valuable experience, and ultimately understand the hiring process for when you have the responsibility of hiring employees.
Learning job search skills will help to separate you from other recent graduates. You will use these skills throughout your career and they are essential as you continue to learn all you can about the sports industry. Graduating with a degree in sports management is an outstanding achievement. Now you need to specialize, become an expert, and learn about the industry. Good luck in your job search!
Howard Gauthier is an Associate Professor of Athletic Administration at Idaho State University. He is a former collegiate athletic director and collegiate basketball coach. He is also an author of 9 books. Check out his book, Getting Hired In College Sports – 2nd Edition at www.sportscareersinstitute.com or his new book Execute for Success at www.execute4success.com.
#1 Sports Job Book
In Getting Hired In College Sports you will discover:
- The types of jobs that exist in college sports
- How to plan and navigate your career
- How to create an effective job search campaign
- The proper way to create an effective resume, cover letter, and sales pitch
- How to properly brand yourself
- Techniques and strategies to prepare for your interview
- How to properly prepare yourself for the five types of interview questions
- How to properly follow-up after the interview in order to influence the decision of the hiring manager
Click Here To Purchase – Only $23.95
“This book is fantastic – it is very practical for people who want to get into (or advance) in the sports industry.”
Head Men’s Basketball Coach