By Dr. Howard Gauthier
How bad do you want to work in the sports industry? If you truly want to make it in the sports field, you have to be hungry, hungry to achieve your goal.
Hunger is an extreme desire to achieve your goals and objectives. When you’re hungry, nothing will stand in your way. You will make the necessary sacrifices, you will work hard, and you will stay focused on your goal. It doesn’t mean that you will operate with a “win at all cost” attitude that will hurt others just so you can get what you want, quite the opposite. When you’re hungry you will become the ultimate professional. You will dress for your next job, you will work hard to learn the necessary skills, and you will look to build strong relationships.
In my book, Execute for Success, I outline eight elements that will help you to achieve your goals and objectives. If you want to succeed in the sports industry, you will want to:
- Find your passion by becoming engaged in your activities and adopt an optimistic attitude toward these activities.
- Establish outcome goals and performance goals that are clear, challenging, and in writing. Use the SMART system to organize and target the outcomes you want to achieve.
- Maintain unwavering resolve and determination to accomplish your career goals.
- Learn the fundamental skills of your craft or activity.
- Develop and improve your skills through proper training programs and deliberately practice these skills.
- Exercise both disciplined thought and disciplined action.
- Stay focused on your job and eliminate distractions.
- Anticipate changes within the industry, adjust quickly, and re-establish your goals.
These eight elements are outlined in my book and are shown to help people achieve success. Take a moment to reflect on each of these elements and see how they might apply to where you are in your profession and your job search. By applying these elements to your goal of working in the sports industry, you will be taking a large step towards feeding your hunger, your hunger of working in the world of sports. So again I ask you, how hungry are you?
Remember, ultimately the job will go to the candidate who is prepared and who effectively executes the basics of the job interview process. In all you do, you will want to EXECUTE FOR SUCCESS!
Howard Gauthier is an Associate Professor of Athletic Administration at Idaho State University. He is a former collegiate athletic director and collegiate basketball coach. He is also an author of 9 books. Check out his book, Getting Hired In College Sports – 2nd Edition at www.sportscareersinstitute.com or his new book Execute for Success at www.execute4success.com.
Helping You Get A Job In Sports
In Getting Hired In College Sports you will discover:
- The types of jobs that exist in college sports
- How to plan and navigate your career
- How to create an effective job search campaign
- The proper way to create an effective resume, cover letter, and sales pitch
- How to properly brand yourself
- Techniques and strategies to prepare for your interview
- How to properly prepare yourself for the five types of interview questions
- How to properly follow-up after the interview in order to influence the decision of the hiring manager
Only $23.95 – Click Here To Purchase
“I have recommended this book to many aspiring sports administrators. A must read for anyone whom has a goal of working in athletic administration”
Director of Athletics
Sonoma State University