By Dr. Howard Gauthier
What are your career goals? Most people aren’t 100% sure. They know they want to work in the sports industry, but that’s about it. How about you? Do you know what you want to do professionally? If you don’t know, you’ll want to analyze your strengths and weakness in an attempt to find out more about yourself and find out what types of jobs best fit your personality. If you do know your strengths and weaknesses, let me ask you this – what are the strengths you bring to an employer and what are your weaknesses? This is one of the first questions you’ll be asked in an interview.
If you hesitated in answering this question, you need to conduct some assessments so you can identify your strengths, weaknesses, skills, and abilities. Understanding your strengths and abilities are key to getting interviews, acing your interview, and getting the job. You need to know your strengths and skills for four main reasons:
- It helps you to write a cover letter that can really sell you
- It helps you with answering interview questions
- It provides you with confidence during your interview
- It helps you in trying to influence the decision of the hiring committee
In order to really get to know yourself, you need to conduct several skills assessments that will help you to identify what you need to focus on in order to get the job you want. These assessments become the foundation for everything you do in the job search process. In reality, you shouldn’t begin applying for jobs until you have completed the assessment stage of the job search process.
For more information on assessments and the job search process, check out my book entitled “Getting Hired in College Sports”. It will help you in every aspect of your job search. You can read more about the book at my website at www.SportsCareersInstitute.com. Good luck on your upcoming job search!
Howard Gauthier is an Associate Professor of Athletic Administration at Idaho State University. He is a former collegiate athletic director and collegiate basketball coach. He is also an author of 9 books. Check out his book, Getting Hired In College Sports – 2nd Edition at www.sportscareersinstitute.com or his new book Execute for Success at www.ThePositiveLeader.org.
The #1 Careers Book in Sports
In Getting Hired In College Sports you will discover:
- The types of jobs that exist in college sports
- How to plan and navigate your career
- How to create an effective job search campaign
- The proper way to create an effective resume, cover letter, and sales pitch
- How to properly brand yourself
- Techniques and strategies to prepare for your interview
- How to properly prepare yourself for the five types of interview questions
- How to properly follow-up after the interview in order to influence the decision of the hiring manager
Only $23.95 – Click Here To Purchase
“I have recommended this book to many aspiring sports administrators. This is a must read for anyone who wants to work in college athletics”
Director of Athletics
Sonoma State University